The Dangers of Feeding Horses Moldy Hay

As a horse owner, ensuring your equine friend receives proper nutrition is a top priority. However, feeding your horse moldy hay can be dangerous and even deadly. Moldy hay can contain harmful mycotoxins, which can cause a variety of health problems in horses.

So, how can you tell if your hay is moldy? Here are some tips to help you check for mold:

  1. Smell: A musty or moldy odor is a clear indication that your hay is moldy.
  2. Appearance: Look for any discoloration, such as a gray or blue tint. Also, check for any visible mold growth on the surface of the hay.
  3. Touch: Squeeze a handful of hay. If it feels damp or clumps together, it may be moldy.

If you suspect your hay is moldy, do not feed it to your horse!

To prevent mold growth, store your hay in a dry, well-ventilated area, and make sure it’s covered to protect it from moisture and dampness. It’s also essential to purchase hay from a reputable supplier, who takes the necessary precautions to prevent mold growth.

In conclusion, feeding horses moldy hay can be dangerous and even deadly. By checking your hay for mold and taking steps to prevent it from growing, you can keep your horse healthy and safe. Remember, a healthy horse is a happy horse!

(Visited 37 times, 1 visits today)